Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Brocante Dilettante #1

The definition of dilettante is:  an admirer or lover of the arts; a person who takes up an art, activity or subject merely for amusement.

That pretty much sums it up.  I am a brocante dilettante.  My passion for the old and unusual has always been with me from an early age.  Flea markets (or brocantes as the French refer to them) are a wondrous place where your imagination makes assumptions as to the history or origin of a particular item.  Interest always lies in the true background or providence of a piece but we, no doubt, let our minds run wild with speculation of times long ago.  This passion, as I call it, began not too very long ago but long enough to know that it is the one thing that keeps my attention and juices flowing.  The thrill of the hunt and the anticipation that I may find a treasure of a lifetime.  It amuses me.

 France has always been my "second home" , if only in my head.  Having visited France, I can tell you that it was exactly as I had hoped, actually better.  It will always be #1 on my wish list to live in France someday.  Now, all I have to do is convince my husband that he wants that, too.

I am a brocante dilettante......................are you?

No comments:

Post a Comment